Savory, spiced chicken in a pitaPrint Recipe
For the marinade
- 2 lemons juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Red pepper flakes to taste
For the shawarma
- 2 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into strips
- 1 large red onion julienne
- 8 pitas warmed
- 4 roma tomatoes cut into wedges
- romaine lettuce shredded
- Tatziki sauce for serving
- In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken thigh and the onion, and marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade, and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Bake at 425° for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken and onions are beginning to char slightly around the edges.
- To assemble the shawarma, place a leaf or romaine into a pita, followed by chicken, and then tomato. Serve with tatziki if desired.
Calories: 1097kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 67g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 222mg | Sodium: 1366mg | Potassium: 937mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 972IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 5mg