Tom Kha Gai
Traditional chicken and mushroom soup with coconut brothPrint Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass tough outer layers removed, cut into small pieces
- 1 2” piece ginger thinly sliced
- 10 Kaffir lime leaves or 1 Tbsp. lime zest and ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1½ lb. chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into 1” pieces
- 8 oz. maitake mushrooms may also use shiitake, oyster, or other mushroom, stemmed, caps cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk full fat
- 1 tsp. brown sugar use palm sugar if available
- Chili oil for serving
- cilantro leaves for serving
- lime wedges for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the ginger and lemongrass and sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and lime leaves and reduce to a vigorous simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Strain the broth, discard the solids.
- Place the soup pot over medium high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, until they have released all their moisture and pan is nearly dry.
- Add the fish sauce and cook for 1 minute. Add the strained broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add the sugar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with chili oil, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Sodium: 2005mg | Calcium: 46mg | Vitamin C: 26mg | Vitamin A: 141IU | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 890mg | Cholesterol: 167mg | Calories: 481kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Fat: 36g | Protein: 31g | Carbohydrates: 7g | Iron: 3mg