Crispy, cheesy, meaty, delicious tacos de birriaPrint Recipe
- 7-8 cups hot water
- 4 lbs chuck roast cut into 4 large chunks
- 2 lbs beef short ribs bone in
- 1 large white onion quartered
- 1 head garlic
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 5 bay leaves
- ½ stick butter
- 8 guajillo chiles stems and seeds removed
- 3 tbsp chicken boullion
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 16 white corn tortillas
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- Set a slow cooker on high heat.
- Add the water, roast, ribs, garlic, carrot, onion, bay leaves, and dried peppers to the slow cooker.
- Add chicken bouillon, oregano, chili powder, cumin and salt, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the peppers from the slow cooker and place them in a blender with ½ cup of broth. Blend until smooth, then return to the slow cooker.
- Skim the fat from the top and reserve.
- Remove the beef and shred using two forks. Set aside.
- Strain the solids from the liquid remaining in the slow cooker and reserve.
To make the tacos
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Dip a tortilla in the reserved fat skimmed from the slow cooker, then place in the skillet.
- Fill one half of the tortilla with the shredded beef, and some of the shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla over to form the taco. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until just crispy.. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve with reserved juices from slow cooker for dipping.
Calories: 849kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 70g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 246mg | Sodium: 790mg | Potassium: 1307mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2711IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 322mg | Iron: 8mg