Red Beans & Rice
Classic cajun and creole dishPrint Recipe
- 1 ½ pound dried red beans
- 1 pound Andouille sausage sliced 1/2-inch thick (may also use smoked sausage)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 onions finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 bunch fresh green onions chopped
- Cooked jasmine rice for serving
- Place the beans in a large bowl, cover with water(at least 2" above beans) and let soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place a large casserole or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until rippling. Add the sausage and cook until slightly crisp. Remove the sausage to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, then the garlic and onions. Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions become transparent and limp. Add the celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour the beans and the water into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the black pepper, cayenne, salt and all the herbs except for the parsley. Simmer until the beans become soft, about an hour and a half.
- Just before serving, remove 1 cup of beans to a bowl and smash with a fork, mix into a paste, and return to the pot to make the beans creamier Add the sausage back to the pot, along with the green onions and parsley. Simmer for 15 minutes and adjust seasoning to taste, adding up to 1 cup of water to desired consistency.
- Serve with cooked white rice.
Sodium: 1475mg | Calcium: 145mg | Vitamin C: 39mg | Vitamin A: 977IU | Sugar: 5g | Fiber: 19g | Potassium: 1938mg | Cholesterol: 64mg | Calories: 750kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Fat: 32g | Protein: 41g | Carbohydrates: 76g | Iron: 10mg