Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)
Kalbi (or Galbi) is the traditional Korean short rib barbecue. The trick to attaining maximum flavor is marinating the ribs over several days. I recommend marinating for no less than 3 and no more than 5 days.Print Recipe
- 1 ½ cups soy sauce
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 head of garlic minced
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 large green onions chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 lbs beef short-ribs
- Mix soy sauce and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add sesame oil and whisk vigorously until incorporated.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Place the ribs in a large nonreactive container or zip-top bag, and cover with the marinade. Rotate the marinade and ribs every 12 hours to ensure uniform coverage.
- Broiling: place ribs in oven with broiler set on high. Broil just until edges are black and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
- Grilling: place ribs over high heat, turning only once, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with sticky rice and kimchi
Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 3427mg | Potassium: 864mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 82IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 6mg