Croque Monsieur/ Croque Madame
A traditional french sandwich with ham, cheese, and beschamelPrint Recipe
For the bechamel
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 8 slices country-style bread ½”thick
- 8 oz. ham
- 4 oz. Gruyère grated (about 1½ cups)
For the bechamel
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce [an over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook for 3 minutes more, until sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt,
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place four slices of bread, butter-side down, into the skillet.
- Add a layer of grueyere on each slice of bread, then layer with ham, and finally, top with another slice of bread, butter-side up.
- Cook the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully flip each sandwich over, pour a generous amount of bechamel over each, then top with remaining gruyere.
- Immediately place under the broiler and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
- For Croque Madame, add a fried egg to the top of the sandwich after removing from oven, just before serving.
Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 1284mg | Potassium: 429mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 783IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 482mg | Iron: 3mg