A deeply flavored shredded pork dish from the Yucatan region of MexicaPrint Recipe
- 4 lb Pork shoulder boneless
- 1 whole head garlic separated into individual unpeeled cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup achiote paste
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 3-inch Mexican cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- ½ cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 white onion julienne
- 2 roma tomatoes quartered
- 8 bay leaves
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat a dry skillet over medium high heat. Add the cloves of garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the husks are blackened. Peel the gloves and set aside.
- Add the oil and spices to the skillet, and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes
- Transfer the spices to a blender, along with the citrus juices, vinegar, and soy sauce. Blend until smooth,
- Place the pork shoulder in a slow cooker and pour in the marinade, making sure all sides of the pork are covered. Add the onion, tomatoes, and bay leaves.
- Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 6 hours. Shred the pork an mix well with the juices in the slow cooker.
- Serve with warm tortillas, cotija cheese, diced onions and cilantro, crema, etc.
Sodium: 236mg | Calcium: 75mg | Vitamin C: 17mg | Vitamin A: 229IU | Sugar: 3g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 660mg | Cholesterol: 93mg | Calories: 275kcal | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fat: 14g | Protein: 28g | Carbohydrates: 9g | Iron: 3mg