Classic tomato soup
Fresh, vine ripened garden tomatoes are the base for this delicious classicPrint Recipe
- 3 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 yellow onion julienne
- 1 red bell pepper cut in half, stem and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream optional
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil & parsley for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil on high
- Spread the tomatoes and the pepper on a baking sheet. Broil until skins on tomatoes and pepper are slightly charred.
- While the tomatoes are broiling, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and pepper, and reduce to a high simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth and creamy, then return to the pot over medium low heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste. If soup is still too tart, add more brown sugar. Add the cream, if using.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 915IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg