Classic lasagna - layers of pasta, rich meat sauce, and melted mozzarellaPrint Recipe
- 1 9 oz. pkg lasagna noodles recommended: Barilla oven-ready
- 2 lb mozzarella shredded
For the marinara
- 2 28 oz.can Crushed tomatoes recommend: Cento brand
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 Tablespoons Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
For the bechamel
- 10 oz Parmesan cheese shredded
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg freshly grated
For the marinara meat sauce
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ther crushed tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium. Once the sauce is simmering, crumble in the ground beef and sausage. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the basil and oregano, and simmer for 15 minutes more.
For the bechamel
- While the marinara is simmering, make the bechamel.
- Place a medium sauce pan over medium high heat to melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and whisk in the cheese until sauce is smooth.
- Add the nutmeg and lemon juice, and salt to taste. Remove from heat.
To assemble the lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a lasagna pan or baking dish, spread just a little of the marinara to keep the pasta from sticking.
- Begin with a layer of lasagna noodles, leaving about 1/4" on all sides of each noodle for expansion.
- Add a liberal layer of the meat sauce. Drizzle bechamel on top of the meat sauce. Top with a generous amount of the mozzarella.
- Add another layer of pasta, meat sauce, bechamel and cheese.
- Repeat once more, then add a fourth and final layer of pasta, meat sauce, and cheese, excluding the bechamel on the top layer.
- Place lasgna on a baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bak for an additional 15-20 minutes until cheese on top is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 982kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 80g | Saturated Fat: 42g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 251mg | Sodium: 1824mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1684IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 1055mg | Iron: 3mg