Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Simple, hearty comfort food - the classic chicken pot pie is easier than you may think!Print Recipe
- 1 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half & half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red skinned potato diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 puff pastry sheet cut into 5" squares
- Place a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat until rippling.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and golden.
- Add the broth to the chicken, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken to cutting board to cool. Strain broth and reserve.
- Return the pan to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, and melt.
- Sprinkle onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms with salt and pepper and saute in butter for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add flour to sauté mixture and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Combine reserved broth and half and half and gradually pour into vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add peas, chicken, and thyme and cook additional 3 minutes.
- Divide into 4 individual ramekins or oven-safe bowls. Cover each ramekin with puff pastry, crimping edges.
- Gently score the top of each pastry using a sharp paring knife, making a cross-hatch pattern. Brush shells with beaten egg and then cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 621kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 1291mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6062IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 194mg | Iron: 5mg