Servings: 2 loaves
This slightly-sweet bread is amazing for french toast, bread pudding, and other uses!Print Recipe
- 1 ½ tablespoons active dry yeast 3 packages
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil more for greasing bowl
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 to 8 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Poppy or sesame seeds for sprinkling optional
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar into 1¾ cups lukewarm water. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, or until yeast is very foamy.
- Whisk 4 of the eggs together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk the oil into the yeast, then the sugar, and then add the beaten eggs.
- With the dough hook fitted to the mixer, set the speed on low, and begin adding the flour, ½ cup at a time, waiting for each addition to be incorporated before adding more. Keep adding flour until dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl and is slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Oil inside of the bowl and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Punch the dough down and allow to rise for 30 minutes more.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and divide it into two pieces. Divide one of the balls into four equal pieces and roll each one into a rope about 16"-18" long.
- Follow the instructions in the image below to braid the dough, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat with the second ball of dough. Make sure there is at least 2" between the loaves.
- Whisk the remaining egg in a small bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Brush this egg wash over the two loaves using a pastry brush, and making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Place the bread in a warm place and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Brush the bread with remaining egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes.
- After removing from the oven cool on a wire rack.
Calories: 2594kcal | Carbohydrates: 413g | Protein: 70g | Fat: 70g | Saturated Fat: 49g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 409mg | Sodium: 3657mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 594IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 27mg