This is one of my favorite foods in the entire world, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Hot Sour Soup
An authentic version of a restaurant favoritePrint Recipe
- 4 oz. ground pork
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 0.3 ounce dried wood ear mushrooms ½ cup after rehydrating & slicing
- 0.3 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms ½ cup after rehydrating & slicing
- 4 ounces extra firm tofu cut into 1" long and ¼" thick strips
- 4 ounces bamboo shoots cut into strips
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 scallion cut on the bias
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark soy or mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
Hydrate the mushrooms
- Place the dried mushrooms in two separate bowls,. Cover with 1 cup hot water each and allow to hydrate for 1 hour before slicing. Reserve the liquid in the bowls.
To make the soup
- Heat the sesame oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the pork, and cook until browned.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the salt, sugar, dried chili pepper (if using), white pepper, both soy sauces, and the reserved liquid from the mushrooms.
- Next, add the mushrooms and bamboo shoots and bring the soup back to a simmer.
- Next, add the tofu and the vinegar and stir.
- In a small bowl, mix the water and the cornstarch. With one hand, stir the soup in a circular motion, and with the other, slowly drizzle in ¾ of the cornstarch mixture. This will keep it from clumping. Check the thickness of the soup, and add the rest of the slurry if you'd like it thicker.
- Check the soup for seasoning, adding more white pepper for heat and more rice vinegar for more sour.
- Bring the soup to a high simmer, and while stirring in a circular motion with one hand, forming a whirlpool, slowly drizzle in the egg with the other hand.
- Serve garnished with the scallions.
Sodium: 783mg | Calcium: 33mg | Vitamin C: 1mg | Vitamin A: 113IU | Sugar: 6g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 493mg | Cholesterol: 78mg | Calories: 261kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fat: 13g | Protein: 16g | Carbohydrates: 20g | Iron: 2mg