Spain is pretty much surrounded by water on four sides, so consequently, seafood is a pretty big part of their diet. Paella is traditionally made with several different kinds of shellfish and other seafood, and it’s really pretty much open to interpretation, so feel free to add or edit ingredients as you like.Print Recipe
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 9 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups converted rice
- 20 threads saffron
- 2 sprigs rosemary leaves stripped from sprigs
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Quarter the tomatoes and run them across a cheese grater over a mixing bowl to scrape off all the flesh. Discard the skins. Set the juice and grated tomato aside.
- Heat the stock in a saucepan over medium heat.
- In a very large skillet or Paellera (Paella pan), heat a few tablespoons of olive oil until rippling.
- Add the chicken and sear both sides, about 5 minutes each side.
- Move the chicken to the outside edges of the pan and add the onion and garlic. Sauté just until the onions begin to clarify. Add the peppers and sauté a few minutes more. Move the peppers and onions to the outside edges of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes begin to darken, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, saffron, paprika and rosemary, along with 4 cups of the broth, stir well, and simmer.
- DO NOT stir the paella again. Add the shrimp and crab, along with another cup of broth, and continue simmering.
- Add the remaining broth a cup at a time as needed.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Sodium: 2041mg | Calcium: 168mg | Vitamin C: 76mg | Vitamin A: 1313IU | Sugar: 4g | Fiber: 3g | Potassium: 1110mg | Cholesterol: 333mg | Calories: 812kcal | Saturated Fat: 9g | Fat: 32g | Protein: 61g | Carbohydrates: 67g | Iron: 4mg